Sunday, October 14, 2018

not quite camping


When we were driving home from Florida
in August,
I told Tyler I wanted to go camping for my birthday.


I didn't get in quite enough relaxing at the beach,
and I wanted to make positively certain 
that there would be no attempts at a big birthday bash.


He stopped by our favorite local campground
and selected the best spots,
then attempted to reserve one of them
for my birthday weekend.


They were all booked already.


So we booked the next dates that would work for us.


When I started looking at the weekend forecast on Monday
and it wasn't pleasant,
Tyler told me to just wait.
Forecasts change.


Well.
the forecast did change.


It got worse...


But he thought we could still manage a decent time
(I was a little less sure. 
Rain and camping aren't a good mix in my opinion)
so kids and I got  all of the gear ready
and the kids had all packed their clothes.
We went to bed on Wednesday night
planning to do the grocery shopping 
and pack our own clothes in the morning,
and head out at 3.


Thursday morning,
the first thing my man said to me was,
"I'm thinking we need to change our mind."
Friday had been supposed to be decent
(not great; but okay, at least, especially compared to rest of the weekend)
and now they were calling for rain with a high in the 50s.


So.
Instead of camping
(in our already paid for 3 nights spot)
we just went and hung out for the day.


It was a perfectly lovely day,
and it was hard to imagine 
that the nastiness they were calling for 
would really come.


But it did.
And we were so glad to be in our nice, dry, warm house.


Mom and Bill came down 
and spent Saturday afternoon and evening with us,
and Brandon spent a few hours with us today.


So it still ended up being a nice long relaxing family weekend.


It was just spent mostly inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)