Wednesday, June 21, 2017

feeling groovy



There are people who just do everything fast.


I am not one of those people.


I wish I were.
There are certain tasks
 (vegetable chopping, for instance)
that I've done so much - I've naturally gotten faster;
but as a rule,
I'd say I'm average, at best,
and even sometimes, downright slow.



Bag-making is pretty much my molasses.

I'm usually tickled with them in the end,
but goodness, the making of bags
takes me a dang long time!

I do believe this one,
clocking in at 7 1/2 hours,
is the record.


It's a good thing I really love Amy,
and I think she really deserves it,
because that is just about ridiculous!

But -
it's a really cute bag!!


You might remember that Lily had a really rough night at camp,
and Amy helped her through it,
so I was already thinking I ought to make her something as a thank-you.

But then,
when she up and went to Lexi's camp also
(and changed her bandages
because Lexi wasn't sure the nurse would do it properly)
I knew I needed to.


Amy is a little bit of a hippie,
so I was kind of already thinking maybe something with a VW.
Then,
I found out that she drove the big ol' church van
(through the construction area that brings me to tears 
nearly every time I drive in NWA)
and
she loves Volkswagen Beetles,
and well, that sealed the deal.


I added elastic to the inside of the bag,
so she could securely carry essential oils in it if she felt so inclined.


And then, thinking that 
if she did carry oils in it,
maybe there should be some padding in the center, too,
so the glass bottles wouldn't be hitting each other,
so I made a padded pocket divider thing.


And after I had the entire bag done,
and the opening sewn shut,
I discovered 
that when you add a divider
to a zip pouch with boxed corners,
you must remove some length from the divider.


😑
How much length 
seems to be determined 
by how much you box the corners.


It took me about a half hour to fix my error,
so I guess, 
technically,
the bag only took 7 hours.

But that's still a record, I think...


In all seriousness,
I am so grateful that Amy sacrificed a week of her life
to love on my girls,
and I was happy to spend a few hours of mine,
to make a bag that says
thank you, sweet friend!! I think you're groovy!



11 comments:

  1. That bag is absolutely fabulous! My little sister is a bit of a groovy chick as well and would really appreciate the van. Isn't it wonderful when other people speak truth into your children's lives :-) I'm sure she'll love the bag. Thank you for your kind words on my last post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a fabulous bag. Love the van and the fabrics are perfectly flower powery! Thanks for lining to Sew Stitch Snap SHARE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely brilliant! Love the bag, inside and out. The van is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. groovy indeed! I'll be having those 60's and 70's tunes running thru my head all day ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. worth the time spent, groovy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that bag!! You make such neat, fun stuff!! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would love this pattern!!!! awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I just sorta winged it using a picture and my daughter's lightbox

      Delete
    2. how did you decide on how much elastic to use?

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Ladies!! You are all so sweet!! Amy loves it too :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)