Thursday, November 7, 2019

becoming a longarmer


Picking up where we left off yesterday...
(this lying around all day is good for something, I suppose)


While deeply grateful for the opportunity to practice and learn
on other people's tops,
I was starting to feel 
that if I continued this much longer,
I was going to be getting the short end of the stick.

I totally recognize I could not have gotten to where I am
as a quilter
without these ladies allowing me to quilt 
less than amazing quilting
on their carefully pieced tops.

but because of that
I was actually starting to get
- dare I say -
good.


I didn't feel like I could just go on 
indefinitely
quilting for free,
no matter how badly I wanted
 to be able to continue to practice regularly.



There are only so many hours a week 
I can dedicate to this hobby/ministry.
and while I was loving the improvement to my quilting,
I wasn't doing anything to help improve lives for my RR ladies.
(Not that I always have to be - but it is always on my radar)


I started thinking about maybe quilting for pay,
but at a reduced beginner rate.
It'd be a win for me,
because I'd still be getting practice,
but I'd also be able to earn some money
for more machines for Rahab's rope,
and it'd be a win for clients,
because they'd be getting decent quilting
- with a little more character 
than computer generated edge to edge 
or pantograph quilting -
for less $$
(and that money would be going to a good cause!)


I also had been thinking
that
as much as I love Lucy
and am so grateful and thrilled to have this old longarm,
I'd really like to be able to do ruler work.
(translated - I'd like a different longarm someday
in the not too distant future)

It's something that I'd been looking forward to
 about owning a longarm machine.
I didn't realize
that without a stitch regulator,
ruler work would be difficult (at best)
and when you add a very heavy machine to the equation,
it's next to impossible.

So I wondered -
would it be okay if I saved some of that money
for myself
??


God is always so good to us.
Every big decision we've had,
where we might be inclined to not see exactly eye to eye,
He has brought us -separately- to complete agreement.
Where one of us starts the conversation
(with perhaps a bit of trepidation)
and the other one says,
"Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking too."

The end of July,
Tyler told me he'd been thinking.

He thought that I should think about 
quilting for pay.
And that I shouldn't donate all of the money,
but keep some of my earnings
to save for another longarm.

a horribly pieced and badly cared for vintage quilt top I purchased off Etsy.
Quilting this showed me that I just might actually have a gift!
I'll share more about this one when it reaches the top of the to-be-bound stack ;-)

But.
I didn't want to just throw myself out there.
(I don't want to spend my precious sewing time
quilting ugly tops.
Just being honest here.)
So I was thinking and pondering and praying 
about how to proceed.

the quilting on the colored portion and the right side background fabric was done on my domestic.
I finally got good enough, and brave enough (and tired enough of this quilt needing to be finished...)
to figure out how to put the partially quilted thing on the longarm.
The top portion was done by Lucy.

Three days after Tyler and I had that conversation,
I got a message from Mary.

She wanted to discuss
 hiring me to quilt for her.
💗



2 comments:

  1. Eek! Exciting! I love it! Isn't being one amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome journey you are on. I have been mulling over the beautiful designs that the quilting can add to a project. Honestly I just don't know how or what the next step would be. When I make a quilt & quilt it ( rent a machine at a quilt shop) I often pray foe the person who will be using it. In the last few months I've made quilts for some auctions and don't know who I am praying for but God does....it is a process I have come to enjoy.
    Thank you for sharing and being transparent about your process.
    Happiness is the journey....

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)