Wednesday, November 6, 2019

lovin' Lucy



I just can't even express how much 
I am loving
having a longarm.


Sometimes I'll be in the middle of quilting
and just feel 
This!
This is what I was made for.


In the first few days after buying Lucy,
I had several moments of 
"What have we done?!"
and
"I just wasted almost $2000!"
but then Tyler replaced the wheels
(which we sort of expected he'd need to do)
and I bought a Towa gauge
and got in a little more practice


and
I started having so.much.fun.


I quickly figured out 
that I would better retain my improvements
if I could quilt fairly regularly.

But I couldn't quite figure out how to 
piece lots of quilt tops
in order to practice quilting
at least once every week to ten days.


Then, some Instagram friends
lovingly and generously sent me some of their tops
to practice on,
and assured me that they would cherish any imperfections
(of which I had assured them 
there would be plenty!)

I will always be so grateful for those women.

Their faith in me,
and their graciousness towards me
allowed me to increase my skills
so much more rapidly
than if I were 'going it alone'.


When I didn't have anything to quilt 
and it'd been a week or so,
I'd throw a yard of fabric on the frame
and just play.
(I've amassed quite a stack of quilts to be bound)


My quilting went from
passable




to decent



to actually kinda good.



And Lucy and I were loving every bit of the learning.


Well. I was anyways,
and I can only assume from Luc's wonderful compliance
that she's lovin it too.


I still love piecing quilt tops,
but man,
I'm loving quilting them more than I ever expected. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh I love seeing how your love of Lucy has grown and you are continuing to grow, learn, and create! Way to Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! The quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)