Wednesday, May 23, 2012

oh dear.

I'm not one of those mommas who insists the children eat everything on their plate.
Until it's gone.
Meals and meals of the same plate.
Until it's empty.
Mostly because I, myself, have food issues.

Tonight, however,
little miss Lex' was telling me she was hungry
while her plate sat
not empty
on the table.
So I told her she wasn't getting anything else to eat until she finished her mashed potatoes.
Which aren't exactly mashed potatoes;
they were mashed 1/2 potatoes, 1/2 cauliflower.
She doesn't hate them, but she sure doesn't love them either.
She decided to get back to playing.
she came in a half hour or so later,
"I'm still hungry."
"Your mashed potatoes are still sitting on the table. When they're gone, you can have some fruit."
She went to the table.
I heard plate and silverware noises.
A few minutes later she came to tell me that her food was gone.
"You ate all of it? Is your plate empty?"
"Yes," she answered.
"Okay," I said, "You can look in the fridge and see what you might want.
You have to ask first, though, to be sure you can have it."
She chose strawberries.
As I walked into the kitchen to rinse them,
I saw, out of the corner of my eye, a plate - upside down.
Hmm.
I sat the berries on the table
(We added some blueberries to the snack, too - both on sale at Aldi this week)
and picked up the upside down plate.
which was on top
of another plate.
A plate of mashed cauliflower potatoes!

4 comments:

  1. hoo boy! Aiden will be doing that sort of thing before too long. He's not quite clever enough yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, i am guessing she just couldn't make herself eat them, so then what did you do? just curious. to this day Lindsey is a terribly picky eater and plenty gets thrown in the trash while I am not looking. I gave up. i mean shes 16 now. you can't fix that. and try something new?? ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really make a big deal of it. I told her she shouldn't have told me something that wasn't true, and that it was wrong to try to trick momma and fed her the potatoes.
    She really is a good eater ~ I mean, she had eaten her asparagus earlier...
    I imagine one of Tyler's Papa Raccoon stories will include lying & deceit here pretty soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your such a good momma!!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)