Friday, November 7, 2008

out of a 3 year slump

Once upon a time
in the old house
in a world that seems far far away
I decorated for seasons & holidays.
Not a ton, mind you
but you could look at the entry table
(and in the fall & winter
the stairs - oh, I miss those stairs!)
and know where we were
in the calendar.
Not so since we’ve lived here.
For starters
I’ve never really fallen into a good housekeeping groove
and we’ve been here almost 3 years!
Add to that
it’s a yucky house
and let’s not forget it’s diminutive size….
~
Yesterday
in preparation for our trip over the mountains this weekend
(which should be quite beautiful)
Tyler and I thought we’d stir up
a bit of autumn appreciation in the kids.
Actually, Tyler had the idea - it was my job to implement.
So
I sent the boys out in search of natural treasures

while Lily and I headed to the shop
to find the long neglected box of fall decorations

Nothing fancy
But it does make the place a bit cozier;
and we didn’t spend a cent!


We topped off the day with our annual
after-Halloween-when-the-pumpkins-go-on-sale-for-a-dollar
Dinner in a Shell.
oh, so good!

4 comments:

  1. awww, it looks so lovely and homey!

    The trees will be beautiful on the way through the mountains - Luke and I saw some of the grandeur when we went to get grain last weekend - wow. Some of the trees were PURPLE and of course gold, red, orange, green.... it was so nice!

    I just took the laundry to the laundromat, and it was a nice walk, cool but not freezing.

    There are some plants around here that are planted in the 'gardens' (where jeremiah thinks I should plant tomatoes!) that have cute little green leaves, but in the fall, I've discovered, the leaves - almost overnight - turn bright cardinal red - they look so awesome!

    "It's a great day to be alive"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks so lovely and inviting. Can I come over just to visit and maybe this will entice/shame me to decorate! Why can't I think of serving a yummy stew in a beautifully natural bowl! I've got to try that!!! I took an eggplant scooped out a small part and inserted a candle for a centerpiece once... The kids were so thankful they didn't have to eat it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are welcome to come visit!

    I didn't think up the dinner ina shell - it was a recipe in the paper about 6 years ago. As best I can remember, I actually follwed the recipe that first time :-) and still follow it pretty closely....

    ReplyDelete
  4. as in, you *basically* follow the ingredient list and the procedures?
    lol :-D

    I like the carrots and potatoes the best :) I always pick them out...

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)