Thursday, November 17, 2011

a novel approach to reading


I finished another book last night.
Fiction, again.
I was sad to reach the end,
to never get to 'interact' with Juliet, Dawsey, Isola
Elizabeth, and all the rest of the Guernsey folks any more.

I've met so many interesting, inspiring people
on the pages of books.
I think I've had it all wrong,
those years I went without reading fiction.

Most 'self-help' books, parenting books,
how-to-be-a-better-wife books, etc
leave me feeling more frustrated than inspired.
More 'I've done so many things wrong, how can I ever get it right?'.
And I've certainly not been sad to reach the end of the book.

A recent read, These is my Words, left me
appreciating my husband more,
thankful for modern conveniences,
and wanting to be a harder worker.
And a better shot. 
(Dang! That Sarah could shoot!)
Not too shabby for one book.
And a novel, at that.
Fortunately,
that book has a sequel.
~
So.
What should I read next?

2 comments:

  1. i was just thinking that the other day! Ted Dekker describes love (and pretend love) in a few novels better than most any more didactic book i've ever read. you should read some madeleine l'engle - but you'll find her in the children's fiction section. actually, you'll find only a few books, b/c most of them are.... here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. when we were growing up, you always had a book in your face, in the middle of the night with a flashlight even, I am glad you are finding some time to read again, its nice to escape for a while into a wonderful story!!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)