Friday, June 20, 2008

pocket diaper insert for pennies


I am really excited to share my first Frugal Friday tip.
I’ve had my suspicions that this would work
but I wasn’t positive.
~
I’ve been dealing with some stink with my diapers
for quite some time.
First
I thought that after I got my new washer
I wasn’t using enough soap
but after stripping my dypes
and boiling my inserts
and increasing my soap
I was still having odor issues.
The only time they weren’t smelly when soiled
was if they’d been dried on the line.
I suspect it has something to do with the sanitizing power of the sun
(there’s a spiritual lesson here…)
I prefer to dry them on the line.
I think diapers flapping in the breeze
are one of life’s sweet pleasures.
But
the weather
doesn’t always cooperate with my washing schedule.
Seems more often than not
lately
diapers have gone in the dryer.
Anyone who’s used them
knows that microfiber inserts take a long time to dry!
So
I bought a package of 25 16x16 micro fiber towels at Sams for $10.88
I had the presence of mind to prewash some
(I planned to return them if they didn’t work for inserts)
although
I didn’t expect them to turn the rest of my diapers
green
Lovely.
I think I’ll wash the rest of them by themselves!
~
All that to say
that
one towel
folded in thirds

makes an
easy to wash
quick to dry
non-bulky, but plenty absorbent
pocket diaper insert
that cost only pennies gotta love it!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Your diapers are SO cute!! Did you make them yourself or purchase them? Great tip on the inserts!

    I just hope someday I get to DO diapers! LOL! (I'm an adoptive Mom to three sibs who came to us at 5, 5 and 4.)

    Thanks for the tip!
    Traci
    tracibest@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any in diapers anymore, but this is a really great tip! Cute diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I bet those would work for postpartum mama-cloth, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, cute diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curiously normal I bet it would.
    Ya'll are brave we don't use that kind at my house and I have to say that I am pretty sure I am glad. I have had to change some before and I like the dispoables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where were you when I had my first two in cloth diapers??? You diaper covers are so more cuter than the ones from the diaper service. I never would have thought to use Microfiber towels. You know that's what we use to sop up the rain when our house floods. Next time we get a lot of rain, I'm raiding Lily's diaper liners!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute diapers . . . and great tip about the microfiber towels. Line-drying does leave cloth diapers smelling nice and fresh--it's amazing!

    You may be interested in joining our blog carnival over at the Green Baby Guide. It starts tomorrow and is called "Thrifty Green Thursday." It sounds like you have plenty of thrifty ideas, so please check it out!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)