Saturday, March 1, 2008

the lesson in the pot

I absolutely love cloth diapering my babies.
I didn’t expect to.
My reasons for switching to cloth were purely financial.
How on earth could we afford THREE in diapers??
~
After using cloth for only a short time
I was hooked
and
the boys were hooked
Once,
when we were a few days into the ‘trying out cloth’ stage
I put a paper diaper on Jeremiah
before I even got it taped (velcroed?) up
he asked, “What are you putting on my bottom?”
Needless to say
he quickly cast his vote in favor of our homemade FuzzyBunz.
We’ve used cloth for just over a year now
and have never had a bit of trouble.
Until recently.
They started stinking!
We aren’t talking ordinary diaper stink here
We’re talking 90’s Toni perm smell!
I did everything I knew to do to fix the problem
But it persisted
I finally got in touch with Dani
And she figured out my problem.
Not enough detergent.
When we got the new washer
I never made adjustments for the larger capacity
Duh!

So today
I gathered all the diapers
And I washed those suckers with tons of soap
then I boiled the inserts to remove any bacteria buildup
And I learned something.
~
I thought I’d be able to just set the timer while they boiled
and work nearby.
But I couldn’t
I had to stand there and babysit
and push those diapers back down in the water
and keep the burner at just the right temperature
to keep it boiling, without boiling over.
And I thought -
God doesn’t just point out a sin in my life
And leave me there to work through it on my own
He stays with me
Dunking me back in the fire, if need be
Guiding me
Helping me
Giving me just what I need at the moment.
And that got me to thinking -
So many times
with my children,
I want to point them in the right direction
and then go about my business
and expect them to automatically live up to my desires.
But what I need to do
is point them in the right direction
and then stay with them
‘til we achieve the desired results
together
~
I’m sorry, guys

1 comment:

  1. You are SO right! I do the same thing. Lessons in diapering...sweet. I like my cloth diapers too. Can't say the rest of the diaper changers in the house agree though.

    I'm loving the ERGO. I should've bought it a long time ago. Thanks again for loaning it out!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)