Thursday, February 5, 2009

ahh naptime

I love naptime.
Not for the reason one might think, though.
I can’t really even describe the feeling.
Happy
doesn’t really capture it
but it’s the best this non-linguist can come up with.

Tyler doesn’t really get it.
For him
naptime is all about the nap (for him, too)
For me
Naptime is a time for me to be with all the little ones.
I know
Lots of folks advocate a quiet time with everyone in their own room…
Well
in this house, that’s an impossibility
so I go in the complete opposite direction
(not entirely unlike most things…..)


There’s a big window on the south side of the room
so it’s usually nice and warm in there.
Sometimes we listen to the Bible as we rest.
Sometimes we don’t.
Usually a little boy has to get up and go to the bathroom.
A swat or two isn’t at all uncommon.
Eventually one or all drift off to sleep.
And when they do
I just feel
so
satisfied.
happy. peaceful. content.

Of course
that’s not how it goes down every day.
Occasionally, naptime is more of a nightmare.
I don’t care to remember those naps;
but I sure don’t want to forget all the good ones!

sweet sisters just up from their nap

3 comments:

  1. I love nap time at our home when the kids were little. I loved looking at their fingers and toes, hearing their soft breathing, seeing the peace on their faces. Those little jerky movements babies make in their sleep, the contented sighs (of both kids and moms). I loved having them go to sleep with their little hands curled up in mine, all warm and soft... Yep, I miss those days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily looks like you! They're all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)