Friday, September 11, 2015

buns and bagel dogs




We found (and tweaked, of course)
a fun recipe to add to our lunch and Sunday Snacky Dinner options.

These everything bagel dogs are a hit with everyone.
The kids think we should bring them as a 242 snack,
which is high praise for a low carb 'bread' food, let me tell you.

We usually have a bit of leftover dough, and I'll make a plain 'bun' just for me :-)
I'll warm that bun, open faced, under the broiler
and slather on some butter.
De-liciousness!

Last time, I accidentally left it under the broiler too long and made toast.
Oh my goodness, it was good!
I'd planned to give 1/2 the bun to Tyler,
and I did,
but it was a sacrifice.
And when he offered me a bite,
I didn't hesitate to take one :-)


Her recipe says it makes 4,
but I have found that I can get 5 or 6 per batch.
Maybe we just like our bread part a bit thinner?

I don't have all of the ingredients she uses for the topping,
so I just mix together a little bowl of seeds and spices that I do have.
We've made them without any topping,
and without brushing with the extra egg,
and they are still quite yummy,
but they do look nicer with the topping.

I'll list my ingredients here,
but you'll want to go to the above link for the how-to,
and to see her beautiful pictures.
Whether you use Sarah's recipe or my tweaked (cheaper/lower calorie/tastier) version,
(or your own tweaked version)
is up to you,
but I really think you want to try them.

Bagel Dogs (or buns), our version

1/2 c shredded monterey jack
1 c shredded mozzarella 
(You can use all moz, but the mj makes it more flavorful)
2 Tbs cream cheese (or 1 oz if you like to use the packets)

1/4 c baking mix
1/2 c almond flour
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1 egg

In a nutshell ~ melt the cheeses together
and in a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients with the egg.

Then mix the two together.
I turn them out onto a silicone baking sheet and knead it (with wet hands)
until it's well mixed.

Divide into 4-6 equal portions
and flatten
and wrap around a hot dog or sausage, sorta sealing the dough on the bottom.
(or just shape into flat-ish buns)
(her method of spiraling looks better,
 but it's harder for the kids to do.
Plus, it's just faster to smash and wrap...)

Add egg wash and toppings if desired
then bake
(on the silicone liner or parchment paper)
at 400 for about 20 min.


yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)