Friday, October 12, 2018

two to remember


Last weekend was the Belle Point Quilt Guild's
biennial quilt show.

It was the 3rd time I've gone to the show,
and the first that I entered any quilts.

I entered two for display only,
and one to be judged.


I reasoned that it was pretty sound
technique-wise,
and the quilting wasn't too shabby,


so I was hopeful that I'd get some helpful comments from the judge(s)
regarding what I could improve
so I could
maybe someday
earn a ribbon.


Well, Y'all!
I earned a ribbon!!

A third place ribbon!


The comments weren't all that helpful, though.


There were two;
one said my stitch in the ditch needs to stay in the ditch,
and duh! of course it does.
And while I didn't SiD perfectly,
I'm not sure that I could do much better
on a good sized quilt
with a domestic machine,
especially one not built into a table.
(I happened to notice that the 2nd place quilt 
wasn't stitched in the ditch,
which made me wonder if perhaps I'd have fared better without it...)


The other said that I need to 'whipstitch my corners.'
Now,
this one ticked me off a bit,
because,
y'all know how I am about my binding corners,
and I had sewn them,
I just did it invisibly.


In addition to that ribbon
(and the $10 prize money that went along with it)
I got another surprise;
an even better one!

My friend had made a quilt for us
 as a housewarming gift,
and she presented it to me
by hanging it in the show!


There I was, just browsing the quilts,
and bam!
there was my last name - hanging on the wall
on a beautifully quilted 
(almost whole-cloth) quilt
with a blue ribbon pinned on it.


She used bamboo batting and a lawn backing
because she knew I loved both,
and quilted in a verse,
and our names.
She despises handwork, 
so couldn't bring herself to add any,
but she outlined the pieced letters in black,
to give it a similar look.


I'm so so tickled with her lovely, thoughtful gift!

And I currently have not one,
but two
award-winning quilts in my home.

(though as soon as those darn razorbacks straighten up,
I need to sell that one...)



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! So exciting and what a fun way of discovering your gift!
    I too was disappointed by judges comments on and entered quilt once..."straight lines should be straight " and that was all! So silly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! :-)

      I recognize they have to do a lot of quilts quickly, but yeah - was hoping for something more impactful...

      Delete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)