Sunday, October 28, 2018

lately



The kids had TaeKwondoTesting yesterday.
Boys had mid-terms
and girls were both testing (again) for their black belts.

Gramma and Grandpa Bill came down to cheer them on,
but Jeremiah was the only one who passed.

The others were understandably sad,
but they were still happy for their friends and brother who did pass,
and I was proud of all 4 of them.

~

I was supposed to get a package yesterday.
Fabric - 
that I planned on playing with today,
but our mail carrier said it was undeliverable
because of "bad road".

I wasn't quite as gracious in my disappointment
as my children were.

Granted,
our driveway does get a bit sketchy,
but it certainly isn't bad enough
to warrant non-delivery of packages!

Tyler and the boys
fixed it anyways.

~
We haven't done just a ton of house projects
in the past few months,
but Tyler did finish making
 and installed the pantry door
a few weeks ago.


I love it!
(but it's terribly hard to photograph.)


He bought the window for $2.50 at a yard sale,
and built the door around it.
The barn door hardware was a bargain Snagshout purchase,
originally ordered for the upstairs bathroom,
but it worked even more perfectly in the kitchen.


We pretty much just leave it open,
but it's nice to have the option to close it.

~



I finally finished all 168 circles
and started turning them into squares and joining them.

I got 3 rows done super fast
(meaning - I ignored most other responsibilities
for a whole day
and may have even frustrated my very fabric-tolerant husband,
but I was trying to build muscle memory
so I wouldn't have to re-figure how to do it)
and then decided I definitely wasn't happy with my yarn choice
(I suspected I wasn't when I bought it...)
so I have been undoing
and redoing those 3 rows.


I like the new yarn much better,
so it was a wise call.
(but I still haven't gotten all 3 rows re-done,
and it's been over a week....)

I still like fabric
better than yarn.

~

The boys are taking a writing class on Monday afternoons.
They aren't exactly enjoying it,
but they are doing well.

Adding in another day of being out and about
is wearing out the momma, though!

In addition,
the class is only one hour long, 
and in an area of FSM 
that isn't convenient for most of our shopping needs
so I can't even redeem the time by running errands.

The girls and I did go to Michaels a few times
since it's somewhat nearby,
but that's not financially feasible
on a weekly basis
because it's very hard 
for 3 crafters 
to just 
look
at Michaels.

I am glad to have some assistance in teaching writing though.

~

Once I got all quilt commitments finished,
I started really hoping for a new commisioned project.
I've only given 2 machines this year...

I didn't exactly pray about it,
but God certainly knew it was on my heart.

A few days ago,
an old friend messaged that she would like to commission me
to make her a quilt!

I am so looking forward to reconnecting with her 
through the process,
and I'm excited to actually feel a little excited
about a project.
And 
of course,
 I am thrilled to be able to give a few more machines,
though this'll be a bit of a doozy
and it's unlikely I will finish this year.

that's just the beginnings of the fabric pull :-) some will be weeded out and many more will be added

~

If you'd like to see some of the progress pictures

I am making a concerted effort to post more on the blog,
but there is no denying that it's much easier
to quickly post on Instagram
so you can always check over there
if you get tired of waiting for me here.

3 comments:

  1. Your pantry door looks so pretty! So so your granny squares. I loved crocheting so much as a teen. Seeing your project is tempting me back to my old ways, but I'm resisting. For now. I'm so glad your next commission appeared just as you were ready - divine timing always amazes and delights me. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every single thing you do is so so beautiful! I have a little round granny "square" afghan, too! Made by my Michelle. It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so true that Instagram is so much easier and faster than blogging and it is a bit sad. Here in Europe we also have problems with a new data protection law and that's why many people decided to stop writing their blogs... I'm so happy for you that you'll be making a new commissioned quilt and am curious to see what you'll be making!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)