Tuesday, January 26, 2010

what is it

about this book?
~
I wasn't going to use it this time around.
Oh
it worked well enough with Brandon
but I just didn't really care for it.
Problem was
we weren't really making any progress with my method.
I'm perfectly okay with a child being a 'late' reader
if
that is what is best for that child.
But Jeremiah was getting frustrated with himself
for not 'getting it'
and I sure didn't want a six-year old boy
thinking he was a failure
when we were just at the beginning stages of formally
'learning to read'
So
I pulled out the well-worn (if not well-loved) yellow book
and within one lesson
things began clicking!

What is it about this book??

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons


3 comments:

  1. glad you found something that's working for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used it with Adrienne a year ago and now she's reading chapter books. It really ignited her!

    I've also been using it with our Russian student. The going is a bit slower since she also has to learn a lot of vocabulary - ex. rat, goat. We had fun acting out the story with the eagle and the old horse. I also use it for her dictations and handwriting everyday. Her parents are so happy to see her reading soooo much in each lesson.

    As a side note, we feel that it is a good starting point but a student needs additional phonics work.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!! :D I will teach every one of my children to read with it. That and the Bob books of course :)

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)