Tuesday, October 13, 2015

hands down, the best gluten free low carb chocolate chip cookies. ever.


We went to Claremore today yesterday,
so we have a fridge and freezer
full
of delicious nutritious 
raw milk.

This seems like as good a time as any to
(finally)
share this recipe with the world.

I've been waiting
(for over a year, oops!)
until I had photos worthy of these cookies
to go along with the recipe.

I've finally come to the conclusion that 
until I get my new kitchen,
that's just not going to happen...
(somebody should do that for me ;-)
Take worthy photos;
not get me a new kitchen....)


~

A few notes before I get to the recipe:

If you are going to do much low carb baking, 
do yourself a favor 
and buy a couple of silicone mats if you can afford them.


You really must purchase the Honeyville brand blanched almond flour.
It's pricey, I know,
but your cookies won't be as holdable without it.
At least mine weren't...
This recipe is the only one I use the Honeyville flour for;
a 5# bag lasted us a year.

Xanthan gum is essential if you want your non-wheat goodies
to resemble their grain filled counterparts.
E-ssential, I'm telling you.
The rule of thumb is 1/2 tsp per cup of alternative flour.

I am not going to buy Lily's Chocolate chips
(which is the 'acceptable'  truly LC brand)
I'm just not going to.
I tried making my own chocolate chips.
they didn't hold up well to baking,
even though they didn't taste half bad.

For our family,
with our budget,
even though they contain sugar,
I am okay with using the chips as stated in the recipe.
(obviously, I didn't make these during my 'no sugar will pass my lips' challenge)
By my calculations, the carbs per cookie
fall in acceptable ranges,
and we never eat more than 2 cookies each.
Feel free to use whatever chocolate chips your heart desires.


I have reduced the xylitol further for us,
only using 1/2 c,
but if I make them for someone new to low carb eating,
I'll use the 2/3 c the recipe 'calls for'
(for some reason, that cracks me up. 
I'm the one telling it what to call for..haha.)
Personally,
I find them too sweet with that much.

Sadly,
as amazing as these cookies are,
they don't bake up as sturdy if you try to make big cookies,
so keep 'em on the smaller side.


okay.
I think that's everything.
On with the recipe!

best gluten free low(ish) carb chocolate chip cookies. ever.

Using an electric mixer, cream together
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 - 2/3 c. xylitol (I prefer this birch-based xylitol)
1/8 tsp (4 donks) stevia (I use this
2 tsp molasses
1 tsp vanilla

then add and mix
1 large egg (not extra large; just large)

Add and mix
3/4 c baking mix
3 Tbs. unflavored protein powder (I use this one these days.)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (less if you use Himalayan. but then, if you do, you already knew that ;-)

and one last time, 
add and mix
3/4 c mini semi sweet chocolate chips
(OR 1/2 c mini morsels and 1/4 c dark chocolate chips, which is what I usually do;
the multiple sizes add a 'little something'.
You can use all dark chips, but you'll want to chop at them a bit,
as most dark chocolate chips are huge, 
and your chocolate won't be distributed throughout the cookie.

makes 28-30
3-3 1/2 inch (I'm guessing here) cookies

Bake at 300 degrees (note the unusually low temp!)
on parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet for around 13 minutes.
(You know what a cookie looks like when it's done....)
Leave on baking sheet for a few minutes before serving,
then thoroughly enjoy!

If you want to bake some now and some later,
you can refrigerate the remaining dough  as is (covered, of course)
or roll it up into a log to slice and bake and wrap in plastic.
Both ways work just fine.
You could probably freeze cookie sized dollops of dough 
and bake one or two cookies at a time,
but I haven't tried that.

~


So.
There you have it.
My little gift to the world;
perfect (grain free, low carb, hold in your hand, THM  friendly) cookies.


4 comments:

  1. For the love of chocolate chip cookies!!! That's some dedicated researching and making you've done to still get the cookies you want. And they look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to sub the sweeteners with monkfruit. TIA for your help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi felicia ~ I've never used monkfruit, so I can't be sure this would work, but if it were me - here's what I'd try: as a starting point, I would use however much monkfruit would equal the sweetness of 1 cup of sugar in place of the xylitol and stevia and go from there.
      hope that helps. (You are listed as a no-reply blogger, so I wasn't able to email a response)

      Delete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)