Thursday, July 9, 2009

holes

A young friend of Tyler’s is getting married this weekend.
His bride-to-be is a sweet little thing from a close-knit family.
She’ll be leaving several younger siblings.





If I were in a position to give Ms. Abigail Sawyer
(isn’t that a lovely name?!)
advice,
I would tell her,
“Your siblings will miss you terribly.





Oh
your parents will miss you, too; they’ll be fine.
But the kids.
They just might feel abandoned.





Sure
they like Taylor.
And they’re excited to have a big brother
but they don’t really know what they’re in for.
When you leave
and don’t come back after a few days
there will be a hole.







I know you are anxious to be one with your new husband
and all that s*x
and cooking and cleaning
and s*x
will keep you pretty occupied.
May I encourage you, though,
to take the time to let your siblings know
that you still value them
and love them.






Send them a note
with a drawing - if you’re so inclined.
Visit once a month.
Help smooth the edges of that jaggedy hole.





Because
there will be a jaggedy hole; they’ve had you their whole lives.
And now
you are gone.”




~
Nate, Mandy, ‘Lish, Matt,
I’m sorry.
I didn’t know.
I never thought about what my leaving the family
might mean to you.
I love you.

3 comments:

  1. well, that made my eyes fill up with water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor told me about this, and I wanted to let you know that it really was a sweet post. It brought tears to my eyes reading it. I do miss my siblings a lot and I will do my best to let them know that.Yesterday we visited them and I got several love notes from the little ones! Thanks for taking the time to post this, I really appreciate it!

    Abigail Otwell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to make me cry my eyes out! My brothers had a hard time with my marrying and I had a hard time with one of mine getting married!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)