Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Baked Alaska Pie


I need to get this recipe to Lana
and figured
I may as well post it here.
Ya'll can thank me later...
This is one of only two recipes I have from Tyler's mom
and it's been requested as a birthday dessert 
by at least one someone 
each of the past 24 years, making it
(not counting cookies) my most-made-dessert ever.

Baked Alaska Pie
(the large family version)

preheat oven to 350
In a 9x13 pan*, put 4 c. Angel Flake coconut
and 1 stick of butter, melted.
(I like to melt my butter in the pan in the pre-heating oven
to keep from having an extra thing to wash ;-)
Mix together, press in bottom of pan and bake 'til golden
(about 1/2 hour)
This will burn your eyes at some point;
it's okay, and totally worth it!

Set crust aside to cool.

A little later, in a double boiler, stirring occassionally
melt 2 2/3 c. mini marshmallows (or 16 large, cut up)
2 - 4 oz packages German Chocolate **
1 - 12 oz can evaporated milk
When the chocolate and marshmallows are thoroughly melted,
remove from heat and add 1 tsp vanilla and mix well.
Cool to lukewarmish.
(I can just see the offers to write cookbooks flooding my in-box)

A small serving spatula works great for this next part:
Layer 1/2 of a 1/2 gal Great Value French Vanilla Ice-cream
(I suppose you could use another vanilla ice-cream, if you just must)
onto the cooled coconut crust.

Pour the still slightly warm chocolate sauce over the ice-cream.

Arrange the remaining  ice-cream over the sauce.

Freeze for several hours 
then top with an 8 oz container of Cool Whip
and return to freezer for a few more hours before serving.

mm mmm good!

* you could use the next larger size pan (10 x 14ish?) if you had it.
** Using German Chocolate yields the tastiest results, 
but using semisweet chocolate chips (1 1/2 cups) 
 is almost as scrumptious and lots cheaper!

3 comments:

  1. Surely I must have had this before, but I can not remember. I would remember if I had had it! So, I must not have, but I will!! very Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know what, Mom? I don't think you ever have had this! sorry 'bout that... You would love it!! Even non-coconut-likers like this one, so Bill might actually enjoy it, too. Grandma would have a tough time with the crust, though, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny also taught me how to make fried chicken, but it's a technique, not a recipe...

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)