Thursday, September 12, 2013

for the guys


well, 
and the girls, too.

I made this for dinner the other night and we emptied the pan (and could have eaten more).
Jeremiah kept saying, "You have got to give this recipe to Tony! He will love this!"
TJ will love it, too, but he's more likely to eat it here than make it himself.
(He's a great cook, he just has a very limited pantry. Although, for this, he may end up deciding to expand it...)


It's based on the recipe in Trim Healthy Mama for Cheeseburger Pie.
Here's what I did

Brown about 2 lbs ground beef, season as usual, and drain off grease.
Pour beef into 9x13 pan 

While beef is cooking, finely dice about 1/2 onion, 
then stir it into the beef in the 9x13
(If none of your gang thinks they don't like onions, go ahead and leave them sprinkled on top of the beef, instead of hiding them.)

Add a handful or two of shredded Monterey Jack (I'm sure you could use any cheese. I had MJ...)
and give it a stir.
(which, I guess means you didn't have to worry about stirring in those onions.  Drat. 20 seconds - wasted. Sorry.)

Sprinkle on some onion powder (liberally. then sprinkle some more.)

bacon bits

and some diced tomato.

In a 2 c measuring cup (so you don't unnecessarily dirty additional measuring cups) put
1/4 c. greek yogurt (can use mayo or s.cream if this isn't a staple in your house)
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. heavy cream
2 eggs
several shakes of all purpose seasoning 
a tsp or so dried dill weed
salt & pepper

Stir well and pour over beef and stuff.

Top with another handful or two grated cheese
(I used cheddar this time, even though I had to grate it myself, 'cause I think it looks nicer)

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Serve with ketchup, mustard, chopped pickles, diced jalapenos (Tyler's and my condiment of choice) or any other burger-type condiment
 and watch it disappear while listening to exclamations of delight.


2 comments:

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)