Monday, March 24, 2014

every bit as good as Campbell's (maybe even better) tomato soup


It's no secret that I can't follow a recipe.
Actually, I did follow the THM recipe the first time, 
then I tweaked it to make it tastier.
Then I developed a formula, rather than a recipe,
so it can be easily be made for any number of people.
Because my brain works better like that.

A little side note - tomato sauce 
(at least the cans I read (I'd never before read the label on tomato sauce, can you believe that?!) )
is tomato paste, water, and spices.
So, at some point, I am going to try my hand at perfecting the soup, starting with tomato paste.
But for now, here's what I'm doing,
It's super easy,
and quite delicious.

Dump a can of tomato sauce into a saucepan over medium heat.
(an 8 oz can would make a generous serving for one person. 
We eat it with cheese quesadillas or grilled cheese sandwiches and I use 2 16 oz cans for the 7 of us)

Take your now empty can 
and fill it 1/3 of the way with heavy cream,
another 1/3 with almond milk (I use the 30 cal per serving stuff)
and the rest of the way with water.
Dump that into your pan, too
(if you don't use almond milk, I expect you could just use 2/3 can h2o and it'd be almost as good)
(honestly, if you aren't a THMer, you could probably just use about 3/4 can milk and 1/4 can h2o. or 1/2 milk, 1/2 h2o....)

Then add about 1/8 can more water and swish it all around in the can to get every bit of tomato sauce that's left
and add that to the pot, too.

Then - here's the important part - add 2 tsp xylitol for every 8 oz tomato sauce,
and salt and pepper to taste.

Whisk it all together and heat thoroughly.
That's it!

If you like butter in your tomato soup - and I do (of course ;-) then add some of that, too.

Delish :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)