Wednesday, March 12, 2014

the end is near



You know?


I think I may really 


actually


be able to finish this thing.


Probably not for another month or so, though, mind you...



~
For those who are curious:

I'm using DMC Perle cotton, size 8 for the hand-quilting,
and Aurifil 50wt (of course ;-) for the machine.
(I recently found this perle - which, on sale, is an excellent price. I admit that I prefer the aesthetic of the little balls of DMC, though)

I mark my quilting lines with a hera marker.

So far, my preferred needle is a straw (milliner's) needle from Foxglove Cottage.
I've tried the chenille needles (or maybe they were crewel?) that lots of people said were best for perle cotton thread, 
but I really didn't care for them. 
At all. 
I could only get 2 stitches loaded before having to pull the needle through;
with my foxglove straw needles, I can load as many as 6.
I can only assume those people haven't yet tried my favorite needle...

Oh, and I sew by the light of this lamp
It's not pretty, but it gets the job done, and it's ever so much less expensive than an Ott.
(A full spectrum lightbulb in a pretty lamp would work well, too. But that did not occur to me before I made my purchase.)

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Good luck finishing it up ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors and the hand stitching is so terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful! Your stitches are so nice and even too. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice bright refreshing colours...kind of like a cool glass of lemonade on a bright sunny day...your hand quilting is so well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt, and gorgeous quilting! What a treasure it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that quilt is AWESOME!!!! I just know it will be worth the wait!!hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is sooo stupendous!! What a glorious array of colors that are almost alive they are so vibrant!
    every thing about this quilt is WOW!

    awestruck,
    mom

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)