Friday, October 13, 2017

Traveler, a (little) finished (whole cloth) quilt



When I finished Alicia's quilt,
but before I started quilting Sojourner,
I made a little whole-cloth quilt,
by drawing
a 'sample' of Sojourner 
onto an almost 1 yard cut of Riviera Kona cotton
using fine tipped Crayola washable markers
so I could practice my quilting.


I knew one of the things that my client loved 
was the quilting. 


And even though I had warned her
that my quilting would be nowhere near the level of Kathleen's,
I still wanted to do my very best.
(which is pretty much what I want to do with every quilt... ;-)


I'm really glad I made this little practice piece,
because firstly,
it really boosted my confidence


and secondly,
there were a few motifs that I ended up 
not being real crazy about,
so I knew not to use them in the real quilt.


I wish I could say it helped me figure out 
how to best work my way around the quilt,


but sadly, I still struggle a good bit with that.


(although - I recently took Judi's progressive quilting class,
and one of my take-a-ways was
travelling
is inevitable.
Still, I think I could eliminate *some* of it...)


And thirdly - it's pretty darn cute,
and delightfully soft!


I backed it with the same fabric that I used for Out of the Blue
and bound it with a yellow/gold zig zaggy fabric 
I bought on my birthday trip to the Rag Barn last year.


Plus
it's got wool batting,
so it's nice and light and soft and drapey
but warm,
and it breathes like Egyptian cotton.
(Points if you know what that line is from ;-)


After quilting and a tumble through the washer and dryer
it's approx 30x37 inches


and -  it's in the shop
😊

6 comments:

  1. How fun! What a neat project for "practice" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. INCREDIBLES!!!! I win xP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people. Pewdiepie Merch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. powwows

    ReplyDelete
  5. Design is perhaps the greatest business on the planet today, not on the grounds that individuals should have the option to dress themselves in suitable outfits yet additionally on the grounds that it is viewed as one of the spines of our reality. Japanese Clothing

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)