Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tips for Tony


As a way to help Tony become successful in his new job,
Tyler solicited advice
aka
'Tips for Tony'
from his coworkers.
He gave away prizes
- okay, a buck each -
to the top ten tipsters.

We blocked out the name of the contributors
and I read through them all
marking out all duplicate suggestions.
Several ideas led to further discussions...
Then I read through the submissions again
and noted the ones I thought were most valuable.
I'd marked twelve.

We talked some more
and from those twelve, Tony chose his top ten:
I've taken the liberty of changing some of the tips
slightly, as per our discussions

10.
Make sure guests have everything they'll need
before their food arrives;
no one likes to wait on a condiment.

9.
Nobody likes to pay good money
for a steak that wasn't prepared to their liking.
Make it easy for guests to let you know
if their's wasn't
even if, when they first checked, it appeared to be.

8.
Don't forget the kids when it comes to refills;
ask them if they need more drink.
Usually, kid cups are opaque,
so you can't gauge their beverage needs just by looking.

7.
Make certain that salads are dressed 'perfectly'

I like a lot of dressing on my salad.
Probably part of why I'm fat.
If it really needs more, I'll ask
but often, I would prefer more, but it's palatable as is
so I won't ask for more.
However, if a server were to ask
if I had the perfect amount of dressing,
it would make it easy for me to say, "Actually, I could use a bit more."
~
We're going for an awesome meal, not mediocre.

6.
Have personal knowledge of the food so you can offer suggestions.

Tony is on a pretty tight budget.
Just 'cause he's suddenly making a bunch of money
doesn't mean he's got a bunch of money to spend.
We've worked on his spending / saving plan together
and will tweak it as needed
but one of the things we built into the budget
was a fairly generous amount
to enable him to try several dishes
so he would be better equipped to do his job.

5.
Never let a drink glass get empty.
'specially water and tea.

I
for one
hate to be without water;
I'll still tip if I run out, but I'll do it begrudgingly.
Not every one feels the same, though;
this tipster said, "An empty glass could mean an empty tip jar!"

4.
As much as it is possible
meet guests needs before they have to ask.

3.
Suggest coffee when a guest orders dessert.

Just last night,
Tyler & I went out to eat.
We went to vote,
and figured we'd just make it a date :-)
Anyways.
we'd ordered this 2 for $20 deal
and I imagine the waitress thought
she had no opportunity to increase the ticket total
because an appetizer and dessert
(measly portions, I might add) were included.
BUT
I would have ordered coffee if she'd offered....

2.
Be happy to be at work and serve your customers cheerfully.
Bare minimum service often yields bare minimum tips.

1.
Send a message to your guests that they can relax,
that you are there to take care of anything they might need
while they are with you and they are free to enjoy their evening

and
Tyler and I came up with a bonus tip last night.
Rather than asking, "Can I get you anything else?"
which puts the burden of asking for something on the guest,
ask, "What can I bring you?"
This lets the customer know that you would like to bring them
something to make their visit more enjoyable,
they need only let you know what that something might be.
And if there's absolutely nothing that can be brought
well, then
they are probably thoroughly enjoying their evening / day
which is
precisely
the goal.

~
Many thanks to Tyler's friends for caring enough
to take the time and effort to offer Tips for Tony!!



3 comments:

  1. Wow! I just realized how long I've been out of the States. Do servers still act and think this way? I've completely forgotten what service looks like. Anyone want to offer training over here??? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the way we think they SHOULD act :-) all to often, most don't....

    I think most of these suggestions came about because they did NOT happen, but people WISHED they would've....

    Marketplace's training is quite thorough, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also just love your last tip on changing the old "Can I get you anything else?" to "What can I bring you?"

    (I can hear a large woman with a southern drawl saying that with a "Sugar" tagged on.:-)

    Even at the gas station now they are trying to suggest an additional item. "Would you like a candy bar?" So, be sure to suggest something specific to get people thinking - Like in #3. "Would you like me to bring you some of our wonderful cheesecake and coffee for dessert?"

    We're proud of him!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)