Friday, November 2, 2012

perfect spaghetti


Now, you may be wondering how it is that we even eat spaghetti,
seeing that we don't eat wheat.

My friend asked me that very question recently when she asked what we were having for lunch after church one day 
and I replied,"Spaghetti."
I told her we eat it on shredded cabbage instead of pasta. 
(I know. 
It sounds gross. It's not; it's actually very good)
She said, "Then it's not spaghetti. Spaghetti refers to the pasta."

So, all this talk about spaghetti,
 is,
 I guess,
  technically 
talk about marinara sauce (with ground beef)
that we happen to eat over raw very thinly-sliced cabbage instead of long skinny noodles
but tastes suspiciously like the spaghetti of my memories.

Needless to say, Tyler was more than happy to tweak the recipe a bit,
'cause it meant more spaghetti to taste test.
And if he could get it to where I actually liked it,
well, he'd be in spaghetti heaven.

The last time he'd made the sauce,
we decided to reduce the seasoning mix,
so scribbled out the previous measurement on the bag
and wrote the new one.
So the next time I made the sauce accordingly.
(Hey! It just dawned on me; I've made the spaghetti every time except for once,
since he came up with and perfected the recipe. What gives?!)
It was simmering on the stove
and I gave it a stir as I walked by.
And then I tasted some.
And I said, "mmmm".
And then I realized,

I had just mmmm'd spaghetti.

Which brings us back to where I started this whole thing...

to be continued.
again.



just kidding :-)

And now, the recipe.
I have yet to figure out the measurements for doubling / tripling/ quadrupling....
It can be done quite easily, I'm sure, converting Tablespoons to cups and partial tsps to Tbls,
but I've been in a rush each time I've had to make up a batch of the seasoning,
so it was quicker to just make it as it's written on the crumpled paper bag Tyler brought the spices home from OFF in, 
than to think and multiply to convert....

Italian Seasoning Mix for people who don't like Thyme
(and people that do...)

9 TBS basil
9 TBS parsley
4 TBS oregano
3 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS onion powder
1 TBS rosemary (ground)
3/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 tsp ground fennel

Mix 'em all together, give 'em a whir in the grinder (or a blender) and store in a jar.
(our spice grinder is just a dedicated coffee grinder from a yard sale :-)

To make Tyler's Spaghetti Sauce,
in a large pot, brown 2-3 lbs. ground beef (round or chuck) with a bit of garlic powder and season-all
While it's browning,
dice an onion and a bell pepper (half is okay if they're pricey, but a whole one is better)
and throw them in the pot when the beef's about 1/2 done.
When the beef is thoroughly cooked, 
and 2 TBS of the magic spaghetti seasoning mix..
You can add a clove or two of crushed garlic, or not.
Let it simmer over low heat for at least 20 minutes if you're in a rush,
but it's best simmered 3-4 hours if you get it going early enough.

If that's just wayyy too much sauce for you,
reduce the meat (duh) and onions & peppers,
and mix 1/2 Tbs of your italian seasoning mix with a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes.
If I were you, though, I'd go ahead and make the big batch,
'cause I'll be back before long,
to tell you what you can do 
with the leftovers.


4 comments:

  1. no comments yet? where are all you people?
    Here IT IS!!!
    The - to be continued..
    thank you! and it really does taste good on thinnly sliced cabbage! really! looking forward to the leftovers!
    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYYY!!! well, that sounds yummy! wait, it IS YUMMY!! may have to buy my spices ground up from you, Tracy!(since I have no grinder) and the cabbage, for those who have not tried it, REALLY IS GOOD!!! I like it better than pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad we got to the recipe!
    Have you seen or tried the sliced zucchini noodles? I need to get a mandolin cutter for it, I think.... Want to try that since my kids love zucchini. They also love raw cabbage too so maybe I'll try that too.

    Fennel? That's a spice I'm not good at using. I've got it though...all covered in dust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have not tried zucchini noodles ~ I've looked at the gadget, but just haven't convinced myself yet that we need it ;-)

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)