Tuesday, July 28, 2015

progress and loss



you'd have thought my One Block Wonder would come along quickly.


But you would be wrong.


I seriously underestimated how much time it would take 
into a quilt top.
(or at least the center of one...)


All that matching of points and pinning.
ugh.
I was slower than a couple of my boys 
pooping 
when it's time to clean.
(Sorry; that's the slowest thing I could think of.
"Slower than molasses" 
just doesn't adequately describe my speed. 
or lack thereof...)


Progress was so agonizingly slow
that I was beginning to dread working on it
and even avoided it for a couple days.
Which is just ridiculous.
So I gave myself a stern talking to this morning,
and set to work.


Things were moving along at a decent clip
when Jeremiah came in from letting out the chickens
and told me he thought one of our red hens was dead.

I went out to the coop,
which, up until this point has never been breached by a predator 
other than a snake,
and found not one,
but two murdered hens.
One was my beautiful black and gold mama 
that was setting on 8 golden eggs.

I am just so sad and mad and sad!

I didn't have the heart to pick up my sewing
when I got back in the house,
so progress came to a screeching halt.


Tuesday afternoons during the summer,
the kids go to a play day at church,
which means I have several hours to myself.


Not wanting to waste those precious hours wallowing in sadness,
I gave myself yet another stern talking to 
and sat down with the pins again.


I wasn't moving as fast as I was earlier,
but still,
I managed to finishing pinning, 
sew,
and press the blocks
into four 4 row sections.


Perhaps tomorrow,
I'll get them all sewn together.
(And hopefully, there will be no news 
of another massacre in the coop.)

14 comments:

  1. Your OBW is wonderful. It's got breathing space, great layout choice and love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a stunning quilt that'll be worth the agony! It reminds me of dandelion seed heads blowing in the breeze. So sorry to hear about your hens, I know only too well how you feel :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your chickens; I hope you'll be able to save the eggs that were being sat and prevent any further deaths. Your quilt is looking beautiful, though. I wouldn't feel bad about taking some time away from it. Intense projects like this one that require a higher degree of precision and patience require deeper recharging between work sessions than other, easier projects. Take the time you need and it will show in the final result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is so amazing and complicated, I'm a little baffled that you would think that this would come together quickly?!? For me, this would take more like aeons.

    I so totally get the poo thing... sitting here waiting for mine to finish his second time on the potty and it's time for them to be in bed already... hmmm, coincidence? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your quilt, but so sad for your loss of your girls. I miss having chickens, but remember what it's like to lose one or two to tragedy (my dog playing with them till they stopped being fun...). Hope no more tragedies hit your coop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This OBW reminds me of a dandelion blowing in the wind. I don't envy you the tedious sewing though! Good luck with finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your hens :( Your quilt top is looks amazing, I hope working on it will heal heal your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your chickens. What a bummer! I hadn't thought of the nuisance the seam matching would be on this type of quilt. Yours is looking great, but I don't think I'd enjoy trying to get everything to line up just so. You are getting to the home stretch, so good job with the personal pep talks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this quilt! Your eye for patterns and colors are still so astounding to little ole me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much for your kind comments!! I know in the grand scheme of things, the loss of a few chickens is insignificant, but right now, to us - to me, especially - it stinks, and I so appreciate you all commiserating with me!
    And I like that you like my quilt, too :-)
    Quilters are such lovely lovely people!
    Kac' ~ did you know I once wanted to be an interior designer?? XO
    (speaking of patterns and colors - you should give me some direction for Hadley's quilt... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first thing I thought of when I saw this quilt was peacefulness and serenity -- odd that it is the opposite of what you are feeling as you struggle through this week with it! I love it, and I love the imagery of the other commenters who mentioned a dandelion blowing in the wind.

    This quilt is clever, beautiful, and serene with a whole lot of %^{$?! behind the scenes to pull it all perfectly together. This may be your biographical quilt!!!

    Sorry about your chickens, those losses do hurt the heart and just make us so mad.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much work, fantastic. Sorry for you hens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH! Your poor chickens. Do you know what the predator might be so you can set up a defense? We lost several baby bunnies to a weasel one year, and it was very sad/mad/frustrating.
    My goodness . . . your one block wonder is absolutely one of the nicest I've seen, and I've seen quite a few! Do you have a picture of the fabric from before it was cut? I hope so, and that you will show us when you show your finished top!
    Good luck catching or blocking whatever got in the coop. I'm sorry you lost two of your feathered friends, and hope the rest will be safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a stunning quilt! I hear you on the burnout, though - that's a lot of pieces to sew together! Just think of how happy you will be when it is finally assembled. And, sorry about your chickens. The fact that it's not the worst thing in the world doesn't make it not sad, or hard if you loved those hens.

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)