Wednesday, July 21, 2010

momma made medicine


The hardest part of making 'medicines'
is figuring out what combinations of herbs you need
and how much you need of 'em.
Once you've done that
the rest is easy.

Fill a clean jar 1/2 full with dry herbs of your choice.
(I like to sterilize the jar first
by putting it in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes)

Boil a bit of water
and use half as much water as you used herbs.
(let's say you've got a pint jar: you used 1 cup of herb
so you'd need 1/2 c. boiling H20)

Fill remaining space in jar with glycerin

Put a lid on the jar and put in crockpot.
Fill crockpot to neck of jar with warm water
(I just use the water left over from sterilizing my jar)

Turn crockpot on low
and
let that glycerin pull all that goodness out of your herbs.
Shake your jar once or twice a day
and smile to yourself
all giddy-like.
~
told you it was easy!



After 'cooking' for 3 days in the crockpot on low
my potions were ready to be strained.
It took me two more days to finally get to it.
no biggie.

I use circles cut out of old t-shirts
as my strainer

liquid gold.
really!
I would have paid hundreds of dollars for all this goodness.
Scratch that
I wouldn't pay that kind of money;
everyone would just suffer through their ailments
like we used to do.

I get real creative and fancy with my labels.

A little bit of time
+
not very much money
and we've got
one to two years worth of
Cold Care
(good for whatever ails ya)
Comfrey Plantain
(works wonders on mouth wounds)
Calm Cool & Collected
(formerly called Restful Sleep)
oil for Green Stuff - I'll make it into a salve later
Muscle Rub oil
I haven't decided if I'll make a salve or use as is
and
Tension Tamer

Thank-you, Lord
for all the goodness that grows on this earth
and for wisdom on how to use it
to benefit my family.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm... very interesting indeed... Will have to learn more about what combinations of herbs you used.

    I asked your mom to bring some glycerin, but it was to make super bubble baths and bubbles for outside. I'll have to investigate it's uses some more.

    Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Where did you learn the combination and uses? Unfortunately, my herbal course got pushed back a bit due to the (not unfortunate) impending arrival of Little Bean. I can't wait to learn & know all this great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brannan - here & there... a tiny bit at a time.
    probably the most helpful 2 books I have (so far, my collection is pitifully small...) are ABC Herbal
    and Practical Herbalism.
    bulkherbstore.com is also quite helpful.
    the TNfarmgirl offers a course that might be doable as you wait for Baby; I don't think it'd be nearly as intensive as the one you were going to take, but it'd probably be a good start and I think it's fairly inexpensive.

    Kaylana ~ can you tell me again the combination of oils Nate used for the bug spray??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geranium, tea tree and clove mixed with alcohol. Roughly equal amounts of each oil. You can also use eucalyptus and citronella.

    One that he made with blue yarrow and lavender mixed with the above didn't work as well. Not sure why.

    On a different note, your blog comment section used to have a button to notify me of follow-up comments ..or something like that. Do you know where it went to? I just happened to check back and saw your question.

    Does it's disappearance have something to do with me starting a blog??
    Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm - it looks like that button is still there. maybe they moved it? it's right under 'choose an identity'

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)