Last Friday evening, around 8 o'clock
I decided I was going to make a quilt in a week.
Just to see if I could.
When Tyler headed out with the kids a few minutes later to buy fish for his $5 fish tank,
I sat down at my machine and randomly sewed 2 squares together.
And repeated 100+ times.
I had hoped that Tyler could arrange my blocks for me on Saturday since I struggle so much with that part,
but he went and took a 3+ hour nap and left me on my own.
(in his defense, I never asked him to
do my work for me help)
You saw where I was at mid-afternoon last Saturday.
This is how I left things when I went to bed that night, midnightish
I think I had 3 rows sewn together.
I managed another row before church Sunday morning.
(that would be why my hair was only half fixed. I couldn't help it; I had a goal...)
Throughout the week, every time I could spare a minute, I sewed.
I had hoped to be done by Thursday, so I could join the needle and thREAD ladies,
but it just didn't happen.
|I don't just love the quilting on the front, somehow it seems to me to draw the eye to 4 block sections.|
Friday, I felt somewhat stressed most of the day
and realized that part of that was my own stupid self-imposed goal.
It had gotten to the point that I wasn't enjoying the process, I just wanted to be finished.
Which is just crazy, because I didn't have any real deadline
other than I wanted to see if I could make a quilt in a week,
plus I was hand-sewing the binding ~ which I normally love to do!
|I do, however, love the quilting on the back! I think this may be my favorite quilt back yet.|
I ended up just setting it aside all day, until we watched the Olympics in the evening,
and wouldn't you know it ~ I finished it up anyways.
I did it! I made a quilt in a week!
This super lightweight quilt measures 56x77 after washing and drying.
Fabric is Matsuri, a soft cotton lawn from Connecting Threads.
I ordered charm packs, because they, surprisingly, weren't any more expensive than yardage.
Along with a bit of yardage of my favorite print from the line, I used a sheet I bought a few years ago from Ikea for the back.
It was unimpressive to work with (low thread count & kinda rough) but it softened up nicely in the wash.
Elizabeth Hartman's Orange Peel quilting post was the inspiration for the quilting, but I did mine totally different than she did hers.
I used another Matsuri print for the binding. I just barely had enough; I have a 1 1/2" x3" scrap left.