At 8:40 yesterday morning
I pulled out a stack of fabric and told the girls they could each design a dress.
(I'd already made my dress the day before.
And the day before that,
I'd made Lily one with the fabric that was left after cutting mine out
and on old t-shirt.
The evening before I made Lily's first (un-photographed) dress,
I'd made a pattern for the girls'
from a dress we got at a yard sale last year,
enlarging it slightly.)
Lexi didn't want different fabrics for the bodice and skirt,
so I just combined the two pieces when I cut it out,
and changed the angle of the skirt portion slightly.
I sewed from 9 'til 11:45
and then for another hour and 45 minutes in the afternoon.
Knit sewing is the bomb.
Wearing sewn knits
is also the bomb ;-)
I didn't want to take the time to look for a matching (sewing machine) thread for Lexi's neck binding,
so I grabbed the silk thread I've been using on the quilt, which matched one of the greens perfectly.
digging around for thread would have been faster.
I wasn't thinking I'd have to sew the armhole binding
to match the neck...
I could have skipped the binding on Lily's hem, and just turned it under instead,
which would have been faster,
but I really like how it ties everything together
and it makes the skirt flare nicely,
so I'm glad I took the extra time.
I normally am not a fan of the zig-zag stitch,
and rarely use it for topstitching.
I think it screams 'homemade'.
But on this, I thought it was the best option,
and I think it works.
For both of the girls' dresses
I used the sew the folded in half strip of fabric to the wrong side
and fold it over onto the front method of binding.
a double folded binding strip sandwiching the dress would have looked a little better.
Even though there are things I'd do differently next time,
I am so so pleased with all of these makes.
They may whisper hand-made with love
but they certainly don't holler homemade.
(linking up with the other finishers at Amanda Jean's)
Momma loves you girls,
and I love sewing things that suit you perfectly!