Monday, October 31, 2011

home


I half circled the big oak tree
and parked the car.
As I reached over 
and grabbed my bag, purse and notebook 
from the passenger seat,
I pushed the driver's door open with my foot
then climbed out. 
I caught a glimpse of Tyler and a couple of kids
down on the hill.
They hadn't heard me drive up.
I walked past the sourpuss on the front porch clipping his toenails
and stepped through the front door.
And I was home.

I hadn't really even missed anybody;
I was barely gone 22 hours, 
after all,
so the feeling caught me by surprise.
Home.
With the people I love so very much.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful feeling!
    Hugs, dear Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home! Its where the heart is! how was the retreat?

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)