Monday, October 10, 2011

whirlwind weekend


What I failed to mention in my last post
was that we started tearing into the kitchen at noon,
knowing that my brother, his gal, and TJ
would be walking in the door to spend the weekend
in 6-7 hours.
And I had been helping a friend Thursday evening
and didn't get home til almost 3 am.
And the house was a bit of a wreck when we started on the floor.
And the kids wrecked it further
while we were busy...
Mid -project, I asked, 
"What kind of people put in a new floor
hours before guests will arrive?!"
Brandon said, "Probably the same kind of people
who make clothes right before walking out the door." 
tou·ché
We somehow managed to get the kitchen put back together
and the rest of the house, too, by 6:17!
Friday evening was spent visiting,
making and eating a late dinner of fried rice and eggrolls
and playing Tele-draw 'til almost 2.
At which time
we finally put the kids to bed.
And ourselves....

We were moving a little slow Saturday morning,
if you can imagine.
Tyler and T ran to the grocery store for some meat and potatoes
to add to the waffles for breakfast
since breakfast
 was turning in 
to brunch.
They got sidetracked by a huge yard sale,
and Tyler called 
twice
to tell me that Marin and I needed to sneak out 
and head over.
My girls love Marin.
There was no sneaking out!
We managed to leave anyways
and spent about an hour shopping
but the whole time
I was thinking that I really needed to be cooking waffles.
(It takes a long time to make waffles for a dozen people!)
I got home to find that Tyler had found a waffle iron
at the sale!
Only
it doesn't work for my recipe :-(
And what's worse, 
it took me 2 cycles (8 waffles!) to figure it out.
When the first batch was a bomb, I chalked it up to
forgetting to oil the non non-stick surface.

After brunch
it was time for Tyler and the boys to head out
for a TKD camping trip
(which they'd shopped for Friday evening,
between cleaning up the house and the guests arrival)
Marin and I had to get down to business and get the list made
and the shopping done for the surprise party
we were having for my sister, Terri, on Sunday evening
that Mom and I decided on Wednesday evening 
to throw together .
Oh,
and Terri and James were due to arrive
to spend the night also, in just a few hours
so we couldn't have any party evidence laying around.

This is turning into a book!
I'll skip to Sunday evening
- just know that the hours in between were full....
...with everyone's help
we had a very nice bonfire birthday party
and even pulled off the surprise part
only
instead of shouting "surprise"
to Terri,
we 'surprised' James;
my sister hadn't walked up to the house with him.
We all had a pretty good laugh about that one...

this is the only picture I took all weekend
Gramma called this morning
to say it was the best time she'd had
in as long as she can remember.
Which may not be saying much, but still...

It was a very good - albeit it crazy - weekend
but it was nice to wake up to a rainy slow day
today.

3 comments:

  1. Ah... the peaceful sound of rain to slow us down.
    What a crazy, crazy sounding weekend!!!
    (Ps. did you get my email or did I send it to the wrong address...or were you too busy to write back? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew! I'm out of breath just reading about it all!!
    Yes! It was great!
    Floor was great! Great to see everyone and kids all running around and having a ball on the Loukota "train"! Grandma Joyce has wonderful time watchng the 3 ring circus happen around her!
    Love to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K ~ no e-mail; tralou at cox.net (just delete the mail.com addy, I haven't used that since I got hacked right after Aiden was born)

    Mom - thanks for all your help!!

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)