Tuesday, September 25, 2012

broccoli and chicken ~ it's what's for dinner


Unusually inspired when it was time to fix dinner tonight,
I cooked up a broccoli chicken stir fry,
served it on super thinly sliced cabbage
and it was a pretty big hit.

You know I'm generous (some would say, to a fault ;-) with my recipes,
so here goes.

First, thinly slice 2 - 3 lbs chicken breasts while still slightly frozen
add 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
and a splash of soy sauce.
Give it a stir and set aside while you cut your veggies.

Slice or dice or otherwise cut fairly small:
a good sized onion
1-2 yellow squash
11/2 - 2 lbs broccoli

In a separate bowl, put a half or so head of cabbage, thinly sliced (thinner than you think you can cut it)
and cut crossways so the pieces are around 1 1/2 inches long.

For the sauce, in a 3 cup or larger container,
whisk together
2 cups water
1/3 c soy sauce
3 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1/2 Tbs honey
1/4 c corn starch
a few shakes of red pepper flakes

Heat a frying pan on high heat
then add a sploosh of olive oil (which is a tad more than a splash, you know)
and a smidge of coconut oil. If you have sesame oil - add a smidge of that, too.
Throw your marinated chicken into the pan and stir often 'til chicken is mostly cooked.
(maybe 5 minutes?)
Add the veggies and a bit of garlic powder (or a clove or two fresh garlic)
and continue cooking, stirring often.
(Maybe another 5 minutes?)
Throw in a handful of sliced almonds and cook a few minutes more.
Pour the stir fry sauce in the pan and give it another stir.
Reduce heat and cook another minute or two.

Serve over prepared cabbage and enjoy :-)

1 comment:

  1. *sigh* sometimes i wish I could just move in with you so you could cook for me! with my consistantly general lack of enthusiasm for preparing dinner night after night, this might be a good one to try, pretty simple too! I love your recipes and I love you!! :)

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)