Friday, August 13, 2010

mail time

On Fridays
when I worked a double shift at Shoney's
Glenda
would drive over to my apartment
and check my mail.
She was always looking for the same thing:
a letter from my love
~
Today
I got two
(count them, two!)
emails.
Three, if you want to be technical
but two of them were really the same note; sent in two parts
'cause technology works that way sometimes.
~
The difference between 24 years ago
when the letters flew fast and furious between us
and today is
back then
I had one shot at getting a letter.
One.
If the mail came and there was no letter,
that was it for the day;
I'd start anticipating tomorrow's mail run.
This week
though
I have been checking my e-mail and facebook
like a crazy woman
just waiting for those three little words
You've
Got
Mail
~
One thing that hasn't changed
after all these years:
the thrill I feel
seeing
Tyler -------
in the return address

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're leaving me a comment?? Oh goody! I love comments :-)